Get to Know Wendell Epps


Hello! My name is Wendell Epps and I am currently a junior at High Point University, located in North Carolina. I am a sports media major at High Point and am originally from Fairfax, Virginia, where I have lived my entire life. I have strong aspirations to become a professional play-by-play announcer after college, preferably either calling NBA, NFL, or MLS games.


Throughout my education career at High Point so far, I have spent major time serving as the lead play-by-play announcer for High Point University Athletics through a club we have here on campus called Sports Link that allows students to work NCAA Division 1 sporting events that are streamed live on ESPN+. I have announced over 70 games and had the opportunity to call the 2020 Big South Women's Soccer Championship on ESPN+ and the 2021 Big South Women's Lacrosse Championship on ESPN3 I have recently taken on the position as the Director of Broadcasting where I now help schedule and recruit on air talent for the club, and mentor all broadcasters to get them fully prepared for any game they may announce.

While I love calling games for my school in High Point, I have had immense opportunities in a variety of other areas to help further enhance my knowledge of the sports media industry. Over the summer, I started a brand new series on my podcast "The Sports Student" where I had the chance to interview several professionals in the sports media industry about their experiences in the industry and how they got to the position that they are now in today. Some of my notable guests on season 1 of my interview series included, Charlotte Hornets Sideline Reporter Ashley ShahAhmadi, Atlanta Hawks Play-by-Play Announcer Bob Rathbun, NESN Reporter/Host Meredith Gorman, and NBA Veteran JJ Redick. Having the chance to connect with these amazing individuals in the sports media industry allowed me to get a more elaborate insight on what it takes to make it in the sports media industry as well as the importance of getting an early and proficient start in it as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #9: EOTO 2- Five Eyes

Blog Post #10: Living in the Age of A.I.

Blog Post #13: My Roller Coaster of a Relationship with Technology